The President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site welcomes visitors to a simpler time on Sunday, December 15. An annual tradition, museums and exhibits at the State Historic Site will be open free of charge, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Coolidge Birthplace will be decorated as it would have been in 1872, the year the future president was born. The event features special presentations, holiday shopping, and activities for the entire family.
Holiday music fills the village. Steve Morse of Montpelier will perform on the piano and organ and carolers will congregate at the church. Old-time fiddler Adam Boyce of West Windsor will provide festive traditional tunes throughout the day and sign copies of his new book about Vermont’s early fiddler and humorist, Carl Ross Taggert.
Onsite, the new permanent exhibition and recent Award of Merit recipient “More Than Two Words,” The Life and Legacy of Calvin Coolidge will be open to visitors. The American Association for State and Local History Leadership in History Award is the nation’s most prestigious recognition for achievement in the preservation and interpretation of state and local history.
Open House activities include:
• Horse-drawn sleigh (or wagon) rides with Fred DePaul
• Children’s activities organized by the Calvin Coolidge Memorial Foundation and Vermont Division for Historic Preservation
• Holiday shopping at the Florence Cilley Store and Museum & Education Center
• Homemade chocolate demonstrations and tastings with The Chocolatorium
• Cheese making and wine tasting at the Plymouth Cheese Factory
• Wreath making with Terry Gulick
• Traditional craft demos – spinning, weaving, watercolor, stenciling, spun cotton ornaments, fancy paper cutting, paper quilling
• Special holiday postal cancellation designed by John Lutz
• Homemade & hearty lunch served at the Wilder House Restaurant
• Gallery talk in the nationally award-winning exhibit, “More Than Two Words” with site administrator Bill Jenney
• Lighting ceremony for the Plymouth Memory Tree
For further information about the Coolidge Holiday Open House, contact the President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site, 802-672-3773, or find the complete schedule at www.HistoricSites.Vermont.gov/Coolidge.
Media Contact: William Jenney; Regional Historic Site Administrator; 802-672-3773; William.Jenney@state.vt.us