April 17, 2013
Governor Shumlin appointed Mark Perrin, a resident of Middlebury, to the State Board of Education on April 12, 2013 to serve a six year term (2013-2019).
Perrin owns and operates Green Peppers Restaurant and Creek Road Farm with his wife, Donna. He has served on local school boards since the mid-1990s, and is a strong believer in life-long learning. Perrin has been actively involved in the community by serving on the Chamber of Commerce Board, Workforce Investment Board, and Middlebury Business Association Board.
“This is a great opportunity to take what I’ve learned from life and to learn from others to positively impact education. It is an honor to be a part of the Board,” said Perrin after attending his first State Board of Education meeting today. “There are diverse backgrounds and a depth of knowledge on the Board; it was impressive to see public education at work. I look forward to the challenge and to being a productive part of the process.”
The State Board of Education meets monthly; its discussions focus on policy concerning the education of Vermont students and assuring equal access for all Vermont students to a quality education.
The Vermont State Board of Education currently has eleven members:
• Stephan Morse, Chair, Newfane (term through 2017)
• Sean-Marie Oller, Co-Chair, Bennington (term through 2017)
• Lachlan Francis, Co-Chair & Student Rep, Putney (term through 2014)
• Laura Harris, Student Rep, Williston (term through 2013)
• Krista Huling, Jeffersonville (term through 2015)
• Bonnie Johnson-Aten, Montpelier (term through 2018)
• Margaret MacLean, Peacham (term through 2015)
• Bill Mathis, Brandon (term through 2015)
• Stacy Weinberger, Burlington (term through 2019)
• Mark Perrin, Middlebury (term through 2019)
• Armando Vilaseca, Secretary of Education
More information about the Vermont State Board of Education, including meeting schedules and materials, can be found online: http://education.vermont.gov/new/html/mainboard.html.
Source: Department of Education
Last Updated at: April 17, 2013 07:22:04