News Releases

October 20, 2010

Deadline for Watershed Grants is December 3

Applications are available for the 2011 Vermont Watershed Grants Program to fund projects that help Vermonters protect, restore and enjoy the state's watersheds. Applications are due to the Vermont Watershed Grants office by Friday, December 3.

"Watershed Grants are available to municipalities, local or regional governmental agencies, nonprofit organizations, and citizen groups," said Rick Hopkins of the Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation (VTDEC). "Watershed Grants can be awarded for many types of watershed projects, including those that protect or restore water quality, shorelines, or fish and wildlife habitats."

"We also fund projects that monitor water quality or fish and wildlife populations, improve recreational use of watersheds, educate people about watersheds, or identify historic and cultural resources," added Hopkins. "The work can be done on public or private lands."

Rod Wentworth of the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department explained that watershed grants provide a way for local people to make a difference. "This is a great opportunity for sporting clubs or watershed groups to do something to help out their local stream or lake, such as the planting trees, developing a watershed conservation plan or outreach program, organizing a river clean-up or festival, or beginning a watershed assessment," said Wentworth. “We also encourage projects that help reduce erosion, sedimentation and phosphorous loading.”

Vermont Watershed Grants is a joint project of the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department and VTDEC. It is funded by Vermont Conservation License Plate sales. The program has funded 272 watershed projects statewide since 1998. This year, $125,000 is available to fund grants up to a maximum possible per grant amount of $15,000.

"When Vermonters purchase a Conservation License Plate they're helping protect clean water as well as conserving wildlife and important habitats for future generations," said Fish and Wildlife Commissioner Wayne Laroche. "Proceeds from the sale of Conservation License Plates fund the Watershed Grants program and help support the Fish and Wildlife Department's Nongame Wildlife Fund."

The Watershed Grants application guide and application forms are available on the web at:

Applications for the Vermont Conservation License Plate are available on the Fish & Wildlife website: or by calling 802-241-3700.

Source: Department of Fish and Wildlife
Last Updated at: October 20, 2010 10:20:39