June 05, 2009
MONTPELIER – The Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) on June 4 will begin reconstructing Springfield’s Community Center Bridge, which is located at the intersection of South Street, Clinton Street and Route 11 (Main Street) at the south end of Springfield village. Eastbound traffic, as a result, will be detoured away from the bridge.
Beginning June 4 or shortly their after, cars and light trucks eastbound on Route 11 will be detoured from the intersection of Main and Park Streets to the intersection of South and Clinton Streets. The detour will use Park, Mineral and South Streets as a replacement for Route 11 East, but this detour will have a weight restriction of 24,000 pounds.
Westbound traffic on Route11 will continue to use the bridge and Main Street during the reconstruction. A sidewalk will be provided for pedestrians throughout the duration of the project.
The affected streets and changes to them are:
• The southbound lane of Main Street south of Park Street will be closed. All Route 11 East (Main Street south) traffic must turn right onto Park Street and follow the detour. The left turn onto Summer Street will still be available.
• Park Street will be one-way between Main Street and Mineral Street with a stop sign on Park at that intersection. Park Street traffic will be required to stop and turn right onto Mineral Street, and follow the detour to Main Street.
• Mineral Street will be one-way for its entire length and become a through street with no stop signs at Grove or South Streets.
• Grove and School Streets will have stop signs where they intersect with Mineral Street, Motorists will not be allowed to make left turns off those streets onto Mineral Street.
• South Street will also have a stop sign where it intersects with Mineral Street.
• As the detoured traffic approaches the intersection with Clinton Street, a left turn lane will be provided to turn onto Main Street while through traffic and South Street traffic will merge into the right-hand lane.
Unless they have permits to use local streets, all trucks weighing over 12 tons will not be allowed to use the local street detour. Those trucks must use a regional detour or find another alternate route. VTrans will sign the regional detour requiring Eastbound trucks to use Route 11 West to Route 103 East.
VTrans anticipates that these detours will be required until mid-November of this year. At that time, two-way traffic will be restored on the Community Center Bridge, and traffic patterns will return to usual conditions.
Source: Agency of Transportation
Last Updated at: June 05, 2009 08:34:15